Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Welcome to Atlanta Playgrounds!

Welcome to my new blog! The Cuties and I LOVE to explore new parks within running (and sometimes driving) distance. 

Since we're always trying out new playgrounds, I thought I'd share what we found with the rest of the mommies, nannies, daddies, and kiddos playing in the Atlanta area. 

Besides the basics of neighborhood, type of playground, location, date built, time of day and season that i went, etc., I'll be reviewing each playground based on:

1. Kid Fun Factor
  • Playground for younger kids (1-4)--1 point
  • Playground for older kids (5+)--1 point
  • Playground for BOTH age groups--3 points
  • Baby swings -- 1 point/swing
    • height--tall enough for adults to push = 1 extra bonus point
  • Big Kid swings--1 point/swing
2. Safety
  • Is it in a safe location? -1 point if I'm uncomfortable while at the park; -2 if i leave because of that!
  • Are there other kids playing? are they having fun? +1 (i realize this factor can be dependent on time of day and season but i like company so i'm awarding it a point if i find fellow playground goers)
3. Accessibility
  • Can it be accessed by disabled children or adults? + 3 if so!
  • Easy to get to via sidewalk? + 2 if you can walk there easily
4. Amenities
  • Does it have shade? Trees, tent covers, etc? +1
  • Is it WAY TOO HOT and the slides, swings, etc. burn the kids? -1
  • Does it have a water fountain? +1
  • Does it have green grass to run around (+1) or is it just bare bones playground (0)? 
  • Is the surface soft and bouncy? (-1 if not, 0 if yes)
  • Maintenance-is it in good condition (0 if yes, -2 if yucky)
  • Are there bathrooms?
    • +1 if yes
    • 0 if no
    • +1 if opened year round
    • +1 if there are kiddo-sized potties!
5. Revisitability
  • clearly this is my own term BUT if it is a fun enough park that we want to revisit, it gets +3 points

***Currently i have no plans of reviewing parks without playgrounds but i am open to suggestions, especially as our kiddos get older and aren't dependent on the playground to have fun in a park!  I will, however, make note if there are things for adults to do outside of the playground that we visited.***

LET ME KNOW IF YOU'D LIKE ME TO REVIEW A PLAYGROUND!
email me now (to avoid spammers, you can find my email in my profile)!


{Please note: I am in no way associated with any of these playgrounds nor their maintenance, liability, current status of them, etc. I am simply reviewing the playgrounds based on what I and my two Cuties have experienced.}



No comments:

Post a Comment